Therapeutic Massage

  • The Morton College Therapeutic Massage Program prepares students for employment as full- or part-time staff or independent massage therapists.

    In addition to providing assessment and communication skills, the program teaches techniques for planning, organizing and implementing an effective massage session.

    Program students can earn the Therapeutic Massage Associate in Applied Science Degree or the Therapeutic Massage Career Certificate. For more information on these credentials and prerequisite courses, visit the Therapeutic Massage Career Programs page.

    Apply Now

    Gainful Employment Information

    Morton College provides students with cost, completion and employment information for students in certificate programs.

    Download gainful employment information for the Therapeutic Massage Career Certificate Program (PDF).

    What is Massage Therapy? 

    Manipulation of the soft tissue of the body including muscles, ligaments, tendons and myofascial tissue. 

    What Do Massage Therapists Study? 

    • Anatomy and Physiology
    • Kinesiology
    • Massage theory and techniques, body techniques
    • Business and ethics and relationship building
    • Documentation and medical terminology
    • Complementary alternative therapies 

    Where Could I Work?

    Massage therapists are employed in a wide variety of businesses including: 

    • Chiropractor or Physicians' Offices
    • Health clubs
    • Luxury spas
    • Cruise ships
    • Corporations
    • Sports teams 

    How Much Do Massage Therapists Earn?

    According to the Association of Bodywork and Massage Professionals (AMBP), full-time practitioners earn $40,000 to $60,000 a year.

    Massage therapists charge between $25 to $125 an hour for their services depending on the setting and type of work.


    Massage therapists must be licensed in the state of Illinois. The steps for licensure are: 

    • Graduate from an approved program of massage training
    • Take the state exam
    • Be fingerprinted for State Police and FBI records
    • Submit an application with fees to the Department of Finance and Professional Regulations