Associate in Arts Degree - Any College Level Math Course Sequence - Placement 2
This course sequence is for students:
- who are pursuing an AA degree -AND-
- who are planning to transfer to a four year university that accepts any college-level math course for the student’s planned major -AND-
- who have been placed into MAT 096 -OR-
- who received Cs in their final math class in high school -OR-
- who have not taken a math class in 5 or more years but use math on a somewhat regular basis.
|Semester||Course (s)||Credit Hours|
|1st||MAT 096 General Education Math Support AND MAT 102 General Education Math||2 credit hours/4 credit hours|
MAT 096 GENERAL ED MATH SUPPORT 2 CREDITS
This course is designed for students who have a background in elementary algebra and should be taken along with MAT 102 as supplemental instruction, instead of taking MAT 083/084/085 as a prerequisite to MAT 102. Topics include fractions, decimals, solving linear equations, properties of exponents, scientific notation, and radicals.
Prerequisite: MAT 080 or Mandatory Testing: Qualifying score on the math placement test.
MAT 102 GENERAL EDUCATION MATHEMATICS 4 CREDITS (IAI: M1 904)
This course is designed primarily for students who are not pursuing careers in mathematics, science and business. Students planning to study mathematics, science or business should take
MAT 105 followed by general education course(s) at the upper level. Students develop essential mathematical competencies needed for participation in our modern world by studying topics such as critical thinking skills, sets, probability, statistics, and the mathematics of finance. This course applies to the IAI General Education Core Curriculum Mathematics package.
Prerequisite: Successful completion of MAT 085 or MAT 095 or Math Placement Test.
Corequisite: MAT 096