Over the last few days, you have received communications regarding Morton College’s COVID-19 coordination and preparedness. This is an unprecedented situation—one that has caused a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety. We want to remind you of our commitment to our college community and assure you that we are working diligently to ensure that our students have the support and resources they need to get through this challenging time.
March 23 through March 29, online and hybrid courses will only be delivered in an online format. All other instruction will be delivered remotely through online or alternative delivery formats that do not involve face-to-face instruction.
Support services such as advising, counseling, and disability services will be available online.
All College-sponsored events between now and March 30 are canceled or postponed; some events may be rescheduled.
Below you will find additional information to help navigate through the social distancing phase.
Please continue to monitor the College’s website, the College’s portal, and your Morton College email daily for updated information. Please reach out to the Institutional Advancement Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are in need of additional support.
Panther Pantry Information
Open to all MC Students, Faculty, & Staff.
Tuesdays & Wednesdays
11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
The Panther Pantry will remain open to assist our community’s increased need for food. Quantities and varieties of produce and available canned and dry food options will vary weekly. Please bring reusable bag.
You can also find a partner agency in the GCFD network at www.chicagofoodbank.org/find-food/. We recommend you call first before you visit to confirm hours of operation and requirements.
Now accepting donations of toiletries and canned, dry and non-perishable foods. Monetary donations accepted athttp://bit.ly/MC_Pantry
Questions? Email email@example.com
Student Emergency Fund
The fund aims to provide eligible students facing short-term, non-reoccurring financial emergencies with help in the form of grants that range from $100-$500. To learn more and download the application click here.
Our most important responsibility is to provide continuity of student services. The College will offer virtual services for majority of student services departments. Please contact the respective department for further information.
- Academic Advising is open for online advising appointments through March 29th. Any student can get in touch with their advisor via email or are welcome to meet with an advisor via Zoom. Please email your advisor directly for assistance scheduling an appointment or with any other advising questions. If you are unsure who your advisor is, please firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Counseling services are available for students feeling stressed or overwhelmed. Personal Counseling services are provided by licensed mental health professional and is provided for currently enrolled students at no cost. To request Counseling Service please email Jennifer Iniquez at Jennifer.Iniquez@morton.edu to schedule an appointment.
- Disabilities services are available for students. Contact Ashanta Marshall at email@example.com to schedule an online appointment.
- Career Services is available for online career development appointments. Contact Gina Torres firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment via zoom.
- For Enrollment and Admissions questions contact Diego U Aleman Santiaguillo at email@example.com.
Financial Aid is open for online appointments through March 29th. Any student can get in touch with their Financial Aid advisor via email or are welcome to meet with an advisor via Zoom. Please email your advisor directly for assistance scheduling an appointment or with any other financial aid questions. If you are unsure who your advisor is, please contact Carissa.firstname.lastname@example.org
You can view your Financial Aid access on your Panther Portal. The Self-Service Financial Aid feature allows you to know where you are in the financial aid process, the next steps required and other important details. It gives you real-time access to your financial aid record. See attachment for more information.
Beginning the week of March 16th, all refund checks will be mailed out on Fridays. If you would prefer to receive your refund check direct deposited, log in to your student Portal and complete your bank information under the Self-Service – Financial Information.
The College’s Fitness Center is closed through March 30.
The College’s Library will be open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during this period to provide students with computer and internet access. The 2nd-floor study area and rooms will not be accessible. Student IDs will be required to enter the Library.
Need Help and you’re not on campus?
Check out our NEW Online Line Chat Feature ASK A LIBRARIAN available 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Statewide Adult Education Program Closure
ICCB is hereby requiring the closure of all funded Adult Education Programs beginning Tuesday, March 17, 2020, through March 30, 2020, with a tentative reopening date of March 31, 2020. These dates are consistent with the Governor’s closings of K-12 schools. Closure extensions beyond this point will be considered on a case by case basis by the ICCB.
Placement Testing & GED Testing
All placement testing and GED testing is postponed until after March 30th, 2020. More information will be forthcoming.
Make Up Testing and Tutoring Change
Make Up Testing will not be open for student testing until further notice.
Limited remote tutoring will be available. Contacts are:
Writing: Julie Steinhaus- email@example.com
Math: Chemistry, Physics- David Labno firstname.lastname@example.org
Biology: HESI preparation- Paul Thomas email@example.com
Morton College Bookstore Hours
The Bookstore will be closed from now until March 30, 2020. The online bookstore is still accessible to all and Follett is offering free ground shipping on any online orders.
Shop online here!
Videos on How to Drop a Class, how to log-in to your portal, and more available by clicking here.
Comcast Internet Essentials Program
Students who do not have internet connectivity at home may be eligible for the Comcast Internet Essentials Program.
From the website: As the country deals with the effects of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), Comcast is taking immediate steps to help connect more low-income families to the Internet at home. Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, new Internet Essentials customers will receive two free months of Internet service. We are also increasing the speed of the program to 25 Mbps downloads, and 3 Mbps uploads for all new and existing customers.
To be eligible a household must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- MEDICAID: Card or most recent eligibility letter for an adult in your household.
- Public housing assistance documentation such as your lease, housing assistance payment (HAP) contract, or eligibility documentation from HUD.
- SNAP: Letter indicating you are approved for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits.
- TANF: Eligibility letter for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
- SSI: Eligibility letter for Supplemental Security Income.
- NSLP/Head Start: Copy of a letter indicating current participation in the National School Lunch Program or Head Start, with your child’s name, the school name, and the address of where you are requesting service.
- LIHEAP: Letter confirming your eligibility for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
- WIC: Eligibility letter for the Women, Infants, and Children program.
- FEDERAL PELL GRANT: (Colorado and Illinois only) Documentation from your community college’s financial aid office.
- VA PENSION: Veterans pension eligibility determination letter from the Veterans Administration.
- Tribal assistance eligibility letter, including TTANF, FDPIR, etc.
Please note that Morton College does not endorse one internet company over another, however, we want to share all information accessible to our students who may not have online access from home.
For more information on the program and to apply visit their website.