Licensure for Registered Professional Nurse (RN) and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Registered professional nurses (RN) and licensed practical nurses (LPN) must be licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) to practice nursing in Illinois.
To become licensed, applicants must:
- Graduate from a approved nursing education program
- Pass an examination (either the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses–NCLEX-RN, or the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses–NCLEX-PN)
- Pay required fees
- Satisfy requirements of a criminal history record check
Graduates are encouraged to take the examination as soon as possible after completing the program for improved examination success.
Illinois Nurse Practice Act
Graduates of Morton's Nursing Program may be eligible for licensure application in other states or United States' territory. Applicants interested in licensure outside of Illinois should request information from that state or territory board of nursing. For more information, visit the IDFPR website.
Completion of the Morton College Nursing Program does not guarantee licensure. Adverse results from laboratory drug screening tests and a criminal background check may prevent a graduate from attaining licensure in the State of Illinois, as it is the obligation of the State to protect the public.
For specific licensure requirements, students should contact the IDFPR:
- Springfield Office: 320 W Washington St, Springfield, IL 62786
- Chicago Office: 100 W Randolph St, 9th Floor, Chicago, IL 60601
- Toll Free: 1-(888)-473-4858
The Morton College Nursing Program is obligated to protect the public, and to act in accordance with the policies and procedures of our clinical educational partners (clinical site affiliates). Applicants with adverse results from laboratory drug screening tests and/or a criminal background may not be eligible for program admission or entry to clinical sites unless certain criteria are met. Contact the Director of the Nursing Program for additional information.